In the last update I gave showed a picture of the Datsun’s next mod:
Well it’s a front lip from a Mk1 VW Golf (or Rabbit), also known as a large duckbill. I’ve seen few pictures here and there of older small cars with front lips on them, and have always loved the look. I got the idea to use a Mk1 Golf lip from the Racer86 blog and his KP30 Starlet, and also from Alex and his 180B (610) which will be featured in the future.
So lets fit this thing…
First I found 5 matching nuts and bolts to attach the lip to the front valance.
Then, I carefully marked & drilled the holes, starting from the middle and working my way to the outside of the car. It wasn’t fun drilling into the body, especially since I wasn’t sure if it was going to work or not. Here you can see where I’ve placed the bolts through the holes.
At first it looked as though the shape of the lip compared to the shape of the valance were too different, and the fitment would be way off. However, once the nuts & bolts were slowly tightened a bit at a time, the car and the lip both seemed to pull themselves into place and sit flush with each other.
And at the same time I wound the coilovers down. So here we go, pictures of the full car, lowered with the new lip…
Hope you all like it. It needs better offset wheels now & lower profile tyres, they don’t even look like 15s.
I’d love to hear some comments (both good and bad), so let me know what you all think 🙂